Monday, September 19, 2011

Simple Chicken Noodle Soup


(Six to Eight Generous Servings)

When I am not in a hurry, I saute the veggies in a little oil before I add the meat and water for extra flavor.  Use this recipe as an outline, as we have done it with slightly differences with no problem, my husband and I also cut the vegetables slightly differently and both ways work.

    1 1/2-2 pounds of drumsticks or chicken legs 
    4 carrots, peeled, stemmed, cut in half lengthwise, and cut into 1 inch pieces 
    4 celery sticks, washed, ends trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, and cut into 1 inch pieces 
    1 onion, peeled and diced 
    1-3 garlic cloves, peeled and put through the garlic press, optional 
    1 bay leave, optional
     
Place all of the above ingredients in a large pot and cover well with water (we have just been eyeballing this, but about 8-12 cups, I would guess). Give a generous sprinkle of unrefined salt and bring to a boil, lower heat, and keep at a very low simmer for around 2 hours.

Near the end of the cooking time, in a separate pot, cook two cups of spiral shaped brown rice noodles (or noodles or your choice) according to package directions.

Take out the chicken drumsticks or legs, allow to cool, and then pull off the meat. I save the bones to use again in my next pot of chicken broth as there is still plenty of calcium left in them. Add the meat and noodles to the pot of soup, and salt and pepper to taste. Take out the bay leaf and serve with buttered toast and lots of love.

No comments: