Thursday, September 29, 2011

Best Ever Tomato Soup

Rich declared this "the best tomato soup" he's ever had.  And every one of my boys loved it... So I thought I'd share the recipe!




olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
4 c. vegetable broth (1-32 oz container)*
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
4 TB butter, at room temperature
1/2 lb ABC pasta**
salt and pepper

In a pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring, until softened, 5-7 minutes.  Add broth and tomatoes.  Cover.  Bring to a boil.

Using a blender, puree the soup with the butter.  (I could only fit about half the soup in my blender at a time.  And be careful!  I ended up with tomato soup all over my kitchen because it was hot and the lid popped off! Only fill your blender half way!)

In the pot, stir in pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.  Season with salt and pepper. 

You could probably use any kind of broth you want.
** I couldn't find ABC pasta so I just used what I had on hand.
***Also, I ran out of time and so I didn't do the carrot and onions... still turned out great!


recipe adapted from here

3 comments:

Amy F. P. said...

Oooo. Thanks! Looks yummy. I'm going to try this next week. We all love tomato soup (and Olivia would if I could just get her to try it.)

Amy F. P. said...

We tried this this week. It was a fun change and Ethan was so excited about alphabet soup. Thanks!

jeanine said...

I'm glad that you liked it!