Sunday, February 12, 2012

Carrie's Meatloaf

Elise here is the meatloaf recipe I have used.  I got it from my old roommate Carrie.  Everything in the parenthesis is her commentary.  Anything in italics is from me.

1 beaten egg (sometimes I make a 1 and 1/2 lb meatloaf, then I use an egg and 1 egg white too)
1 slice of bread crumbs (if you use dry use about 1/4 c)
1/4 c milk
1/4 c finely chopped onion (here is the happy mistake I made the other day... I had no onion so I used a packet of onion soup mix, whoa it was good!)
1/4 c finely chopped celery (or green pepper or carrots or mushrooms)  I love to add mushrooms... but that's just me
1/2 tsp basil
1 lb ground beef
the second secret ingredient: I add a little pork sausage, maybe like 1/4 of a lb

Mix egg, bread, milk, onion, celery, basil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper

Add the beef (and pork) and mix well. I know this is gross, but I've found the only way to really get the sausage mixed in well is by using my hands. Haven't you ever noticed that sausage tends to clump together?

Put in your loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. I put it on a platter and then brush with a couple tablespoons of bbq sauce (I know, its not much, but makes all the difference)

No comments: